Sunday, March 25, 2012

BLog Post #8

This is How We Dream Parts 1&2

         When I watched Dr. Miller's videos my mind was blown away, stunned. All I could think about while watching was "Will I really be able to do this?" It was incredible, but what is even more incredible is that I can learn how and use that, along with other resources to teach my own students the importance of technology. I remember having that one teacher that didn't know how to use a cell phone much less a computer, and that was always the class I paid very little attention in and never learned much.
       While we can't replace the face to face relationship between teacher and student, I think it would be a rude disservice of us not to incorporate technology into our lesson plans and teach children not just the proper way of using it, but also the power they hold at the tip of their fingers with the advances in technology.
      The main point that I took with me is that I need to step up my game in becoming a technology literate teacher. I can't slack off and just skim by the books teaching the children what the Department of Education thinks they should learn. We all need to take it a step further. We were in their shoes at one point in time and we know what kinds of things they will be faced with and it is our jobs as teachers to give them the tools to be able to overcome any obstacle that is thrown their way.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post #12

      Carly's blog post was just amazing. I love reading and its that much better when the person writing takes the time to make it good. She really has a gift and is utilizing it to give back. I definitely saw some major similarities in Carly's post and what Dr. Miller was talking about in his videos. She took the time to put information in there that she wanted to share, but also made it really awesome to keep the attention of her audience.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies


        The Chipper Series is a video where Chipper and Dr. Strange have a talk about EDM 310. She doesn't turn in her work on time and thinks she should be fed the information and walked through the class like in elementary school. I have realized now that this class is one of the most important classes I have and I need to do my work and soak up all the information I can get so I can help my future students learn to be technologically literate also.
       In EDM 310 for Dummies I had a blast watching it. The video was so creative and corny. It really makes you relate more to the class because we all are struggling at some point with this class, or any other class, and I personally would love a manual for every class I take. Unfortunately most of our learning takes place within our struggles and mistakes.
       Some neat ideas that I would love to either see made or help make are videos that are more like commercials for certain classes. If we had a website we could go to before signing up for classes that simply allows students to check out what others think, both seriously and humorously, about classes here at South. This was you could plan other schedules around how much time you are going to need to complete a class with exceptional work.


for dummies logo

 Learn to Change, Change to Learn:
          Learn to Change, Change to Learn was one of the most eye opening videos I have watched in this class. What they were suggesting to me sounded a lot like the way the home schooling system is. I know some students that are home schooled and they keep in contact with each other through technology and they go out in the community to learn. The only issue that will arise is who is responsible for the children? This society has both mom and dad working full time to pay bill and we can't have young children home alone. Over all I think if we took this idea and mixed it with the system we already have, weed out the teachers who aren't there for the children, and we could have a world class schooling system!

Scavenger Hunt!
#3 Comic strips: stripcreator.com
I created one but until I can figure out how to post it on Blogger check it out here! My Comic!

#4 50 best Android apps: on this site I found an app that is called Locale. It allows your phone to recognize where you are and can actually change your phone to vibrate when nearing your workplace and will change your phones background to a more appropriate one.

#5






2 comments:

  1. "I need to step up my game in becoming a technology literate teacher." Always a good idea!

    "Over all I think if we took this idea and mixed it with the system we already have, weed out the teachers who aren't there for the children, and we could have a world class schooling system!" I think it very well may happen!

    I liked your comic. "I didn't learn that way!"

    "Some neat ideas that I would love to either see made or help make are videos that are more like commercials for certain classes. " A great idea. It would make a good Project #16!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. I never thought about the fact that the reason some students are disconnected from their teachers was because non tech literate teachers. I thought this was a great analysis that you made. I believe by adding technology to our school curriculum's it may help get rid of the people who choose education as a career for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete