Doing peer reviews is a great way to give and get positive feedback on your blog. I know that I make mistakes and I would want people to let me know. Having an open mind is always important. You have to keep in mind they aren't saying to check your spelling because they think you're stupid, they are just there to help you out. In the technological world we live in these days, it is important to know how to write properly, but having a back up system, such as peer review, is a nice comfort blanket that makes getting out there easier.
Technology in Special Education:
Once watching the video Technology in Special Education I realized how much this technology really makes a difference in these childrens' lives. A few years back when I was in high school, our special education department added a room in our high school designated specifically for special education students. The room was called the Snoezelen room and it incorporated calming technology with colors to desensitize students when they were having an episode. As an art student I helped to paint and put together this room and the technology in this room, while not interacting with the students directly, calmed them down with such ease it is unreal.
The special education department also incorporated the use of ipads in the classroom, which allows the students to learn while playing games involving math, reading, matching, and much more. Most autistic children learn best while using their hands and using this technology allows them to do so and as a plus it keeps their attention fairly good when you have animation. Technology in a classroom simply opens up many more doors for all students that without the technology would never be possible.
How the Ipad Works with Academics for Autism:
The video How the Ipad Works with Academics for Autism was, in my opinion, eye opening for anyone opposed to or on the fence about this technology going into classrooms. Looking at the website at all the apps out there was really amazing, seeing all those apps capable of helping children learn. I personally love astronomy and naturally I was drawn to the Star Walk app. Although not maybe as helpful in a special education classroom, this app could be beneficial in an elementary classroom where seeing the stars would be next to impossible.
Gary Hayes Social Media Count:
The social media count on Gary Hayes' website was overwhelming to say the least. I would have never guessed that that much was happening on facebook, youtube, google chrome, and much more. As a future teacher I think it is important to understand how technology is changing and to keep up with it as it changes around us all. The children I will be teaching will need to know how to use technology to further their own educations and I am the teacher that will be responsible for doing just that. In the next five to ten years technology will be far beyond what we have today and at the rate it is moving we all need to pick up the pace on becoming technologically literate. Seeing all the facts on Gary Hayes' website, Social Media Count, is truly an amazing website full of very entertaining and useful facts.
Michael Wesch - A Vision of Students Today:
When I watched the video A Vision of Students Today it gave me the goose bumps reading all those signs of factual information held up by actual students. It was real and in your face, but it got you to stop and think about what you're doing and whether it's the right thing for you. We, as students, put a lot of effort into the school work that we do, and to come out unemployed and up to our necks in debt is a scary thought. I thought that it was neat that most of us are in school for degrees that don't exist yet, and will be teaching other children to go on and do similar things.
As a future teacher it disturbs me to know that many teachers now don't even realize that they are not teaching in effective ways. It makes me stop and really think about what kind of teacher I want to become, and ways I can stay informed to the growing technology boom. I do not ever want to be one of those teachers who indirectly neglects her students by depriving them of knowledge simply because I know not of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment